Purchasing Bitcoins with cash has become a popular alternative for those who value privacy and security in their financial transactions. This method allows for a more anonymous and decentralized approach to buying cryptocurrency.
In this article, we will explore the various ways to buy Bitcoins with cash.
We will provide a step-by-step guide to each method, including information on fees, time estimates, and additional requirements. Whether you are a beginner or a seasoned pro in the world of cryptocurrency, this article will help you understand the process of buying Bitcoins with cash.
If you want a simpler way, you can also purchase bitcoin on Cash app and withdraw bitcoin from Cash app to a non custodial wallet.
The Pros and Cons of Buying Bitcoins with Cash
But before I explain each method, have you ever thought about why you would buy Bitcoin with cash? What benefit does this bring you after all? Well, together, we will find out this to understand the pros and cons of buying Bitcoin with cash.
Pros of Buying Bitcoins with Cash:
- Increased privacy – Everyone can intuit that transactions made with cash are less traceable than other methods, such as credit cards and bank transfers.
- Bypass potential identity theft – For example, certain information is shared with third parties when purchasing Bitcoin via a debit card. Well, by using cash, the risk of identity theft is reduced as personal information is not shared with third-party services.
- Quick and easy transactions – Buying Bitcoins with cash can be a fast, user-friendly, and straightforward process, especially when using a Bitcoin ATM.
- Decentralization – By using cash, buyers can avoid government oversight, so buying Bitcoins with cash supports the decentralized nature of cryptocurrencies and helps maintain financial freedom.
Cons of Buying Bitcoins with Cash:
- Inconvenient – It can be more time-consuming and logistically challenging to find a reliable cash buyer or ATM that supports the purchase of Bitcoins, especially in certain areas or for those living in rural areas with limited options.
- Risk of fraud – There is a risk of fraud when using peer-to-peer trading platforms, for example, as the buyer and seller are generally anonymous, this can be even more opportune scams, theft, or other types of illegal activities.
- Limited availability and transaction amounts – There may be limited options for purchasing Bitcoins with cash in certain areas, and it may not be feasible for those living in rural areas. Besides, your transaction amounts are generally limited, especially at a Bitcoin ATM. A majority of them have limitations.
- High fees – Transactions made with cash may come with higher fees than other methods. This is because cash transactions typically require the assistance of a middleman, such as an ATM or a cash buyer, who charges a fee for their services.
Method 1: Buy BTC with Cash through Peer-to-Peer Trading
Peer-to-Peer (P2P) trading platforms allow individuals to buy and sell Bitcoin with cash. This method involves finding a buyer or seller on the platform willing to accept cash as payment.
Basically, those platforms act as escrow services that hold your money until the transaction is finished.
This method can be time-consuming and may involve additional requirements, such as ID verification or KYC verifications.
There may also be a risk of fraud when using P2P trading platforms, as the buyer and seller are anonymous. Also, in the case of certain P2P cash transactions, face-to-face (F2F) meetings may be required to conduct a transaction.
Fees for P2P trading vary, so be sure to compare prices before making a trade.
In order to make it easier for you to understand the process you need to follow, we have also prepared a guide to acquiring Bitcoin with cash via Binance P2P. The platform offers several option to buy Bitcoins with cash through the cash-in-person option.
- Connect to your Binance account;
- Enter the P2P Lending section;
- Find a top-performing merchant – Use filters, check the rating, completed transactions, and location. Place an order and contact the merchant via the built-in chat;
- Negotiate details – Agree on meeting time and location. Use built-in chat only;
- Complete transaction – Meet, pay in cash, and confirm receipt with the merchant.
Method 2: Buy Bitcoin with Cash from an ATM
Bitcoin ATMs are automated teller machines that allow you to purchase Bitcoin with cash. To easily understand, it works like a basic bank ATM.
This is one of the easiest and quickest methods to buy Bitcoin with cash.
Most ATMs charge a fee for each transaction in the range of five to ten percent of the transaction, so be sure to check the fees before making a purchase. Even though the fees are high, ATMs commonly allow you to buy crypto with cash without a verification process. Although some crypto ATMs don’t have a verification process, others do.
In order to use a Bitcoin ATM, you will need a wallet with a QR code and some cash. The estimated time for a transaction is usually within minutes.
Downward are the steps for buying from a Bitcoin ATM. While the process of purchasing Bitcoin via a Bitcoin ATM may differ slightly from machine to machine, the general steps are as follows:
- If you don’t have one, create a Bitcoin wallet. For extra security, consider purchasing hardware wallets.
- Find a Bitcoin ATM close to you. You can find one close to you here.
- Check for instructions on the machine and read them before starting the transaction. Start the transaction on the device and provide your Bitcoin address.
- Scan the QR code of your wallet on the machine to link it to the transaction.
- Insert the cash you want to use to purchase the Bitcoin.
- Confirm the transaction details on the machine and complete the process. Once confirmed, the purchased Bitcoin will be sent to your linked wallet.
Method 3: Buy Bitcoins with Cash at a Bitcoin Meetup
Bitcoin meetups are in-person gatherings where individuals can buy and sell Bitcoin with cash. This method allows for face-to-face transactions, which can help reduce the risk of fraud. However, this method may also involve additional requirements, such as ID verification.
Regarding fees, their value depends on the platform through which the exchange takes place.
Here’s how it usually works and what to do:
- Find a Bitcoin Meetup – Check online for Bitcoin meetup groups in your area. Meetup.com is an excellent place to start, or you can see some Bitcoin Meetups on Google Maps.
- Meet a Seller – Once you attend a meetup, you can look for someone who is selling Bitcoin for cash. You can ask the group organizer to connect you with a seller or find someone on your own.
- Negotiate the Price: When you find a seller, agree on the price for the Bitcoin you want to purchase. It’s important to note that the price may be different from the current market price, depending on the seller’s asking price and the amount of Bitcoin they have available.
- Make the Cash Payment: Once you agree on the price, make the cash payment to the seller.
- Receive the Bitcoin: After you make the cash payment, the seller will transfer the agreed-upon amount of Bitcoin to your wallet. Check that the transaction has been successfully completed before leaving the meetup.
Lookout, both in the case of Bitcoin meetups and in any case where you purchase Bitcoin through a cash-in-person method, pay attention to the following aspects:
- Be aware of the risks – Remember that buying Bitcoin from individuals has certain risks. Be vigilant and prepared to protect yourself.
- Choose a trustworthy seller – Research the seller’s credibility before you agree to a transaction. If possible, check their ratings, security deposit, and trading history to ensure they’re reputable. This information is relatively easy to verify if the transaction occurs via P2P Lending.
- Stick to the platform (P2P transactions case) * – Keep all communication related to the transaction within the platform’s chat. This helps ensure that all details are documented and can be accessed if needed.
- Agree on a safe meeting place – Plan to meet at a secure location, like a public place with plenty of people around. This helps reduce the risk of fraud or other issues.
- Verify payment – Make sure to verify the payment in person and in the presence of both parties.
- Completed orders are final – Once the transaction is complete, it can’t be disputed. So, taking the necessary steps to protect yourself and ensure the transaction goes smoothly is essential.
Method 4: Buy Bitcoin with Cash through Cash Deposits
We couldn’t end the article without specifying the simple bank deposit method into a designated bank account and using it to purchase Bitcoin on a cryptocurrency exchange. You don’t even need a bank transfer or credit card.
In order to buy Bitcoin with cash through cash deposits, you need to have a cryptocurrency exchange account. All you have to do is check if the crypto exchange you are trading on accepts this method, and if it does, identify their bank account where you can deposit money, go to a bank and make a simple deposit into that account with the details required by the exchange to identify you and fund your account.
Basically, your only interaction will be with an ATM or a bank operator, and your identity identification is not necessary in all cases.
Some exchanges may also require additional verification, such as proof of identity and address, before allowing you to make a cash deposit.
Cash deposit fees vary depending on the exchange and the location of the bank branch.
Regarding this method, the estimated time for cash deposits to be confirmed by the exchange is usually 2 to 5 business days.
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to buy Bitcoin with cash through cash deposits:
- Choose a reputable cryptocurrency exchange;
- Create an account;
- Find the cash deposit option;
- Send cash to the exchange – You will be provided with a bank account number to which you can send the cash. You can deposit cash at a bank or use an ATM to send the money;
- Wait for confirmation – Once confirmed, the funds will be credited to your exchange account;
- Buy Bitcoin – Use the funds in your exchange account to buy Bitcoin.
Remember that it’s essential to exercise caution when buying Bitcoin with cash. While the methods presented above are popular and convenient, there are potential risks involved, including fraud and theft.
Related articles: How to Buy Bitcoin with Credit Card | How to Buy Bitcoin with Prepaid Card | How to Buy Bitcoin with Cash App
Buying Bitcoin with cash has never been easier! Several options are available, ranging from P2P Lending and Bitcoin ATMs to physical purchases. You can deposit cash into the seller’s bank account if you prefer a more traditional method.
And if you’re looking to connect with like-minded individuals to buy Bitcoins with cash, you can attend Bitcoin meetups and make some new friends to buy from.
Regardless of your chosen method, just be sure to do your research and follow best practices for keeping your personal information and funds secure. Happy Bitcoin buying!