The Ultimate Archos Safe-T Mini Hardware Wallet Review
The Safe-T mini is a new hardware wallet which was developed by Archos, a multinational electronics company based in France. This wallet solution was introduced to the crypto world in July 2018 and is dedicated to crypto users that are looking to keep their digital assets safe against hacking attempts.
The small device features a light and aesthetic design with an encasement made out of a polycarbonate material that protects it from possible drops and damage.
The ARCHOS Safe-T Touch is compatible with a number of cryptocurrencies, which can be managed by accessing the screen via two buttons. The wallet allows you to send and receive transactions, verify balances and keep track of cryptos and also convert them between each other.
The Safe-T mini currently allows the storage of Bitcoin (BTC), Bitcoin Cash(BCH), Bitcoin Gold (BTG), Litecoin (LTC), Dash(DASH), Ether(ETH), Ether Classic(ETC), and all ERC20-based tokens. Archos adds new cryptos on a regular
basis and intends on extending its support to incorporate as many digital assets as possible. Unfortunately, those that are interested in storing XRP and several other popular coins, such as NEM and Dogecoin, do not have the option on this wallet.
Image source: Dice Insights
ARCHOS features an easy to navigate and intuitive web application for its users. The software can be downloaded for Windows, Mac OS, and Linux by accessing www.safe-t.io./start on any computer and following the instructions.
The Archos Safe-T mini uses a number of security implementations to keep your private keys safe. These include an encrypted chipset memory (Crypto memory) and a secured EEPROM (Electrically Erasable Programmable Read-Only Memory), which makes sure that the data on the device can be deleted and reprogrammed only by using a pulsed voltage, protecting the wallet against attacks. The Safe-T mini makes use of Trezor’s wallet software, that is known to be a secure and tested wallet solution for digital assets.
In addition, the wallet can be accessed via a PIN code number, but after you enter the code wrong four times, you cannot access the Safe-T mini again. But you can use the recovery seed to access your funds once again. Aside from the 6 digits Pin seed, the transactions must be validated by using the device’s two physical buttons. The device also comes with an OLED display with a resolution of 128 x 64 pixels, and a handy pouch and wrist strap.
When you run the ARCHOS Safe-T mini for the first time, a mnemonic code consisting of 24 different words will be generated. This recovery seed is an essential part of the device as it allows you to recover your private keys and transaction history.
Setting up the Safe-T mini is a fast and easy process, you just connect the device via USB to your computer, activating the device, that will instruct you to navigate to the following URL: https://safe-t.io/start. Make sure that you always enter the Safe-T mini website via the correct link (https://safe-t.io/) to avoid getting caught into any phishing schemes or scams.
Here is what you need to do next:
- Download and install bridge software by clicking on the drop down and select the operating system of your computer and then click on the Download Latest Bridge button.
- Select in which folder you want the software to be installed and click install.
- Reconnect the device via the cable.
- The wallet is preloaded with a firmware that initiates the setup process. However, you will be required to download and install the latest firmware version before starting to use it.
- Click on the install firmware button to continue.
- While the firmware updates itself, you will have to unplug and reconnect your device.
- Your wallet is now successfully connected, and you can now start generating new wallets to which you can transfer your crypto.
- Before you add your first wallet you will be required to configure the device.
- The Safe-T mini will provide you with three numbered seed backup cards on which you can write down your recovery seed word sequence. In the configuration process, a sequence of 24 different words will appear on the OLED screen one at a time on the display.
- Name your device.
- Select a PIN seed.
How much does it cost?
The Safe-T mini is among the cheapest hardware wallet options, which can be purchased at €49,99 or $59,99 on Archos’ official website or on Amazon.
The Archos Safe-T mini is a new hardware wallet that enables you to store a number of cryptocurrencies in a secure environment at an affordable price.
Featured image: Medium